Monday 27 December 2010

Restoring Quilts, long job but worth the effort

This antique Durham is gorgeous, look at the quilting !
The problem was it had raggy frayed edges otherwise great.
I am reluctant to just bind them and machine the edge , I prefer to unpick far enough back and cut back the batting so you can fold over the edges and hand sew them down.
The result I think you will agree is much more pleasing and often hardly discernible.
It has taken me 12 hours up to now, I just have to stitch down two sides it is all pinned.
So now you know how I have spent my Boxing Day !!
very satisfying now I am on the home straight.













6 comments:

  1. Its beautiful ! what a lovely job you are doing-I would love to own that !

    ReplyDelete
  2. could be yours , Happy New Year Janet.
    Actually I have called it a Durham but looking at the spirals ...it could be Welsh ?? xxLinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful quilt, and what a lovely neat repair you are doing.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, such beauty !
    You are a talented lady indeed, it always makes me smile to see an old piece restored and loved.
    I thank you for stopping by my little place, and look forward to visiting back and forth, and enjoying all of your handicraft work.
    Hugs,
    Jo
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi jo great to have you visit its good fun this blogging is'nt it .
    Have you snow now ? x Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is something so very satisfying about hand sewing; very calming and therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete